ATTENTION RETURNING PARENTS, WHO DID NOT COMPLETE REGISTRATION
If you did not complete registration for your returning student, you will have to wait until August 9th to register your student and they will not begin school until August 12th. The list of acceptable residency proofs has changed this year. To see this list, please See the Registration/Enrollment link on the Parents tab for the list of documents that will be accepted for the residency verification process.
Parents, Oak Park is starting to see a rise in Flu and Strep Throat within our student population. Below are some important facts from the CDC that could help in the control of the spread of some of the illnesses we are experiencing.
Parents’ Corner- The Benefits of Good Attendance
There are many advantages of attending school regularly. Here are some reasons why good attendance makes a difference.
· It increases your child’s chances of doing well in school. He/she can keep up with daily lessons and assignments, take quizzed and tests on time, and have more opportunities to learn. Students who have good attendance do better on reading and math assessments than those who are absent often.
· It teaches your child valuable skills, such as responsibility, self-discipline, persistence, and work ethic.
· It helps your child reach his/her potential as a student. In earlier grades, students are taught basic skills, such as reading, that they will use throughout their lives. Not having the opportunity to fully learn such skills gives your child a disadvantage that can last a lifetime.
Oak Park's PTO has a new Facebook page...like them to get updates
**NEW GRADING SCALE**
A - 93-100
B - 92-85
C - 84-77
D - 76-70
F - 69 & below
E - Excellent 93-100
S - Satisfactory 92-85
N - Needs Improvement 84-70
U - Unsatisfactory 69 & below
“Making School a Priority”
Going to school must be a priority, as it’s easy for your child to fall behind after missing only one day of school. Take the proper measures to ensure your child has good attendance.
Ways to Promote Good Attendance
· Try not to schedule medical appointments during school hours. Enjoy vacations as a family when school is out on break, not when school is in session.
· Don’t let your child stay home unless he/she is truly sick. Headaches or stomachaches may be signs of stress. Talk to your child if this is a problem.
· Help your child maintain routines, such as waking up on time every morning, going to school, doing homework when he/she gets home, and getting to bed early enough to get plenty of sleep.
Talk about School
Take time every day to discuss your child’s day at school, and have him/her share a favorite moment or event that occurred or what was learned that day.
Everyone at school benefits from good attendance! Schools that have good attendance rates receive more funding than those that don’t. Just one chronically absent student can cause a school to lose thousands of dollars each year.
Check out the latest PTO news
Labels for Education
click here for more details
Please slow down in school zones and watch for children.
Flashing yellow lights mean CAUTION, the bus is preparing to stop.
Flashing red lights mean STOP; students are boarding or leaving the bus.
The most dangerous part of the school bus ride is getting on and off the bus. Do not pass a school bus when their flashing red lights are on and their stop arm is extended.
For the safety of our students, please DO NOT talk or text on your cell phone while you are in the car rider line in the mornings or in the afternoons. Your cooperation in this matter will definitely help us keep our students safe.
In 2013IISInInniingdfgydgfOIUSgfiuSfSSSenateAN ACT TO ESTABLISH THE "LITERACY-BASED PROMOTION ACT" TO IMPROVE KINDERGARTEN
AND FIRST THROUGH THIRD GRADE PUBLIC SCHOOL STUDENTS' READING SKILLS SO THAT
EVERY STUDENT COMPLETING THIRD GRADE READS AT OR ABOVE GRADE LEVELIn
please make note of the new tardy policy. Thanks.
Students may enter the building at 7:05 a.m. A student is considered tardy if he/she is not in his or her classroom at 7:35 a.m. Any student who arrives after the 7:35 bell will need to be accompanied by an adult to the office to be signed in for the day. Students will receive a tardy slip and sent to class once they are officially signed in for the day by the accompanying adult.
A Punctual daily attendance is necessary for student success. Being on time ensures that the student is properly accounted for in the morning attendance report and allows the student to hear important morning announcements. Punctuality by all students prevents disruptions for the teacher and other students in the class as well.
The principal or his/her designee will investigate excessive tardiness. Excessive tardiness is considered more than five tardies in a nine week period. Administrative action, including referral to the County Attendance Officer and/or Department of Human Services, may be taken.
Oak Park has earned the honor of being named to the Renaissance Empowered Educator Honor Roll. This recognition demonstrates our dedication to student achievement and effective implementation of Renaissance Learning's data-driven technology.
Important Reminder for Driving Parents
To ensure the safety of all students, please pay close attention to the crossing guard and adhere to her directions. Too often, the crossing guard will signal a car to stop, but her commands are ignored. This puts all pedestrians in danger. If you drop your child off in the mornings, please pay close attention. We want to ensure that no one gets hurt. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated!
In 2013, MS passed Senate Bill 2347, 3rd Grade Literacy Promotion Act, which becomes effective for the 2014-15 school year.